These cheese puffs (or “gougères” if you want to impress your guests) are a savoury delight. Topped with homemade tomato jam, these are an elegant appetizer option.
Makes: 12 cheese puffs and 3 cups of jam
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 450 g / 2/3 cup Mirage margarine, melted
- 315 ml / 1 1/3 cup milk
- 340 g / 3 cups tapioca flour
- 200 g / 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 5 g / 1 tsp salt
- 78 ml / 3 cups water
- 800 g / 4 cups tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 230 g / 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 g / 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 60 ml / 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 112 g / 1/2 cup Mirage margarine
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- Put all ingredients for cheese puffs in blender and blend until smooth.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins and fill about three quarters of the way top the top.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes until puffy and lightly browned.
- For the jam, put all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a gentle boil.
- Turn down the heat to medium-low and let bubble very slightly. The tomatoes will initially be very watery, but will thicken up in time.
- Cook until consistency coats the back of a spoon, about 2 hours.
- Check the jam mixture every half hour and give it a stir so it doesn’t burn to the bottom.