This bright holiday classic is perfect for adding some colour to your Easter spread. Kids can help out in the kitchen by decorating the paska buns with frosting and sprinkles!
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes (+ 2 hours 45 minutes standing time)
Makes: 12 buns
3/4 cup (175 mL) milk
1/4 cup (60 mL) Mirage Margarine
1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
2 tsp (10 mL) freshly grated lemon zest
3 tbsp (45 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tsp (10 mL) freshly grated orange zest
3 tbsp (45 mL) freshly squeezed orange juice
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
2 eggs, beaten
2 tbsp (30 mL) quick-rising (instant) yeast
3 1/2 cups (875 mL) all-purpose flour (approx.)
1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup (125 mL) Mirage Margarine
2 1/2 cups (625 mL) confectioners’ (icing) sugar
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
Red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple gel food colouring
- Paska Buns: In medium saucepan set over medium-low heat, add milk and margarine; heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes or until margarine is completely melted. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Whisk in sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, orange zest, orange juice and salt. Whisk in eggs. Stir in yeast. Stir in flour, 1 cup (250 mL) at a time, until dough is thoroughly combined and mixture is not sticky (add additional flour if dough is very sticky).
- On lightly floured surface, knead dough for 8 to 10 minutes or until soft and smooth. Transfer to large bowl and cover with plastic wrap or clean kitchen towel. Let rise at room temperature for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Grease 11 x 7-inch (28 x 18 cm) baking dish; set aside.
- Divide dough evenly into 12 portions and shape into balls; arrange in single layer in baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap or clean kitchen towel and let rise at room temperature for 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Remove plastic wrap or kitchen towel and bake buns for 22 to 24 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Frosting: In large bowl, using handheld electric mixer, beat cream cheese and margarine for 2 to 3 minutes or until combined. Add confectioners’ sugar, 1/2 cup at a time and beating well between additions, until frosting is light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla.
- Divide frosting evenly among 6 small bowls. Add 1 or 2 drops of one food colouring to each bowl to make 6 different colours.
- Spread each colour of frosting evenly over 2 buns. Decorate with rainbow sprinkles.
Store any leftover buns in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.