This Mixed Vegetable Frittata recipe makes for an impressive and colourful breakfast that will brighten your plate this winter. Packed with a medley of garden vegetables then topped with decadent goat cheese and a dollop of zesty hollandaise, this vegetable frittata will become a holiday hit among friends and family.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
1/3 cup (75 mL) 2% milk
2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh chives
3/4 tsp (3 mL) salt, divided
3/4 tsp (3 mL) black pepper, divided
2 tbsp (30 mL) Mirage Margarine
1 small onion, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups (500 mL) packed roughly chopped baby arugula
1 cup (250 mL) halved grape tomatoes
1/2 cup (125 mL) crumbled goat cheese
1/3 cup (75 mL) Mirage Margarine
3 egg yolks
3 tbsp (45 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice (approx.)
1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp (1 mL) hot pepper flakes
Vegetable Frittata Directions
1. Frittata: Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
2. In large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, chives, 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) black pepper.
3. In 10-inch (25 cm) ovenproof skillet set over medium heat, melt margarine. Next, add onion, green pepper, red pepper, thyme, garlic, remaining salt and remaining black pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until starting to soften. Stir in arugula and tomatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes or until arugula has wilted.
4. Pour eggs mixture into skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes or until soft curds start to form. Remove from heat, then sprinkle with cheese.
5. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until eggs are puffy and centre has set. Let cool slightly, then carefully slide onto cutting board or serving dish.
6. Hollandaise Sauce: In small saucepan set over medium heat, melt margarine until bubbling.
7. Meanwhile, into blender, add egg yolks, lemon juice and mustard; blend until smooth. With motor running, pour bubbling margarine into egg yolks mixture. Season with hot pepper flakes and salt. If too thick, thin with a few drops more lemon juice.
8. Finally, slice frittata and drizzle evenly with hollandaise before serving.
Substitute hot pepper flakes with cayenne pepper or a few dashes of hot sauce if preferred.