Strudel, an Austrian classic. The perfect way to deliver tasty morsels of food while on the run or sitting around the dinner table. Sweet versions are quite popular, but a savoury option makes a great afternoon snack.
60 ml / ¼ cup Mirage® Margarine, melted (plus extra for rolling the strudel)
900 gm / 2 lbs Button Mushrooms, sliced
2 Onions, diced
15 gm 1 tbsp Garlic minced
1 tbsp Oregano, dried
1 tbsp Thyme leaves, dried
¼ cup Bread crumbs (plus extra for rolling the strudel)
1 Recipe Quick Puff Pastry
1 Egg, for an egg wash
- Prepare Quick Puff Pastry as directed, and place in the refrigerator.
- In a large frying pan, melt the Mirage Margarine over medium heat. Add in the diced onion, mushrooms and minced garlic. Season with a few pinches of salt and pepper. Continue cooking until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms are golden brown.
- To the mushroom mixture add the dried herbs, and bread crumbs. Mix until combined.
- Transfer the filling mixture to a baking sheet, and allow to cool.
- Once the filling has cooled, roll the quick puff pastry to a square slightly larger than 12” x 12” (30cm x30cm). Trim the edges, or for a more rustic look leave them as is.
- Brush the surface of the pastry with a thin even layer of Mirage Margarine, and a sprinkle of bread crumbs, salt and pepper.
- Starting along the side of the pastry in front of you, lay the mushroom filling down in a straight line, leaving a 2 inch edge around the filling.
- Begin rolling the dough by folding the pastry over the mushroom filling and rolling up.
- Transfer the mushroom strudel to a baking sheet with the seam side on the bottom of the log. Press down the strudel to flatten out the log. Pinch the ends of the strudel sealing in the filling.
- Whisk together the egg with 1 tbsp of water, to make an egg wash. With a pastry brush, coat the whole length of the strudel, and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Cover with plastic wrap and transfer the strudel to the refrigerator for 30 minutes
- Pre-heat oven to 450°F(260°C).
- Remove the strudel from the refrigerator and remove the plastic wrap.
- Place the bundles in the oven and bake at 450°F(260°C) for 3 minutes.
- Turn the temperature down to 375°F(185°C), and continue baking for 15-25 minutes, until the surface has an even, golden colour. If you find the strudel is colouring too fast, reduce your heat to 350°F(160°C) after the initial 3 minutes.
- Remove the strudel to cool before enjoying as the center can be extremely hot.
- Once cooled, slice the strudel into 3” wide pieces to serve.
- If you’re looking for more of a meal, add a few slices of bacon to the pan when cooking the mushrooms.
- Before rolling the strudel, dust the top of the filling with some grated parmesan cheese for a little extra flavour.