This is a sweet pie that is simply perfect for the holidays. Even better, you can use any collection of your family’s favourite dried fruits to make a customized filling. We made our Mincemeat Tartlets in a muffin tin, so that everyone gets their own portion. It’s all about sharing in the Mirage kitchen, and this recipe is proof!
Prep Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
Cook Time: 18 to 23 minutes
Yield: 12 muffin-tin tartlets
For the pastry
- 1 1/2 recipes Easy Sweet Tart Dough
- 6 g / 1 tbsp orange zest or lemon zest, finely grated
- 3 g / 1 tsp ground cinnamon
For the mincemeat filling
- 58 g / 1/4 cup dried figs, coarsely chopped
- 42 g / 1/4 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
- 39 g / 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 36 g / 1/4 cup dried currants
- 40 g / 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 50 g / 1/4 cup dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- 37 g / 1/4 cup candied ginger, coarsely chopped
- 80 ml / 1/3 cup brandy or spiced rum
- 45 ml / 3 tbsp orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 150 g / 1 large / 1 1/4 cup Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and cubed small
- 72 g / 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 14 g / 1 tbsp Mirage margarine, melted and slightly cooled
- 6 g / 1 tbsp orange zest, finely grated
- 4 g / 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 g / 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 g / 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 g / 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 g / 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 g / 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1 g / 1/8 tsp ground cloves
For the egg wash
- 1 large egg
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp cold water
- coarse/turbinado sugar
- icing sugar
1. Make 1 1/2 times the recipe for Easy Sweet Tart Dough, adding lemon or orange zest and ground cinnamon when adding the icing sugar. Chill in fridge before using; about 30 minutes.
1. In a large bowl, combine the dried fruit with the spiced rum, orange juice and vanilla extract. Cover and allow the dried fruit to macerate for at least 1 hour (at room temperature).
7. If desired, roll out the scraps and cut out the desired shape to place over the filling. With a fork, dock the bottom of the chilled tart shells.
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg with the cold water.
2. Lightly brush the crust with the egg wash.
5. Take out of the oven and allow tartlets to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
6. If using icing sugar, dust the tops of the cooled tarts before serving.
- Replace any of the dried fruit with your favourite dried fruit (eg. dried blueberries, strawberries, pineapple, mango).
- The alcohol can be replaced with apple cider or additional orange juice.
- The mincemeat filling can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Leftover tart dough can be rerolled and cut into cookies; bake for about 10 minutes or until golden in colour.