Combine the warmth of ginger with the richness of brown sugar in a dense blondie and you’ve got the perfect afternoon treat to serve with a bold coffee or hot tea.
112 g / 1/2 cup Mirage Margarine, melted
190 g / 1 cup Dark brown sugar
5 ml / 1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 g / 1/2 tsp Baking powder
0.5 g / 1/8 tsp Baking soda
Pinch of salt
125 g / 1 cup All-purpose flour
10 g / 1 tbsp Ginger, ground
30 g / 1/3 cup Candied ginger, finely chopped
30 g / 1/3 cup Dried cranberries, plus extra for garnishing
1/2 recipe of vanilla frosting
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 8 inch square or round, baking pan with margarine and parchment.
- Whisk together the melted mirage margarine and brown sugar in a bowl.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and continue whisking until smooth and pale yellow.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, ground ginger, candied ginger, cranberries and salt.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet and stir together, just until combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan and press it into the edges with a greased spatula.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before removing from the pan.
- Whip together a quick, half batch of vanilla frosting.
- Once the blondie is cooled, ice a generous layer on top of the square. Chop the reserved dried cranberries and sprinkle them across the top of the icing.
- Cut the decorated blondie into bite sized squares or wedges and serve!
- For those of you who love chocolate, try adding 1 cup of white chocolate chips to the batter before baking.
- For an extra burst of ginger flavour mix in a table spoon of freshly grated ginger.