Looking for a great way to use up your day old bread? Sweet and sticky bread pudding will take care of your leftovers, and your empty stomach.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
- 350 g / 8 cups day old white bread cubes
- 330 g / 3/4 cup toasted pecans
- 4 large eggs
- 245 g / 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 500 ml / 1 cup whipping cream
- 700 ml / 1 cup milk
- 230 g / 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 250 ml / 1/2 cup Mirage margarine, melted
- 14 ml / 1 tbsp spiced rum
- 1 g / 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 g / 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 0.5 g / 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 0.25 g / 1/8 tbsp ground cloves
- 150 ml / 1/2 cup maple syrup
- vanilla ice cream or whipped cream for topping
- Cut slices of day old bread into cubes. Leave them out overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Toast the pecans on a baking sheet for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk together all ingredients, minus the bread and the pecans, in a large bowl.
- Place the bread cubes in the slow cooker with the pecans. Pour the liquid on top and toss to coat.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours, or until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
- This recipe can be made in an ovenproof cast iron Dutch oven at 350°F (150°C) for 4 hours.