Give your chocolate muffins a caffeine-rush with a little shot of espresso, and have your sweets and coffee all in one portable snack.
Makes: 12 muffins
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 tbsp espresso grinds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 6 tbsp Mirage margarine, melted
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp espresso grinds
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp Mirage margarine
- 3 tbsp slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C). Line a muffin tin with paper muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, chocolate chips, brown sugar, cocoa powder, espresso, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine the melted margarine, buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla. Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Do not overmix.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.
- Combine all espresso topping ingredients in a small bowl and sprinkle onto muffins prior to baking.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the muffins comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Add a pinch of fine sea salt to the top of each muffin before baking to bring out the chocolate and mocha flavour.