A great way to make the most of fresh fall apples is to skin them, slice them up and toss them with some sugar and spice, and then top them with a coating that bakes up crunchy and sweet.
225 g / 1 cup Mirage Margarine, at room temperature
50 g / 1 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
5 ml / 1 tsp vanilla
220 g / 1 3/4 cups of all purpose flour
100 g / 1 cup of pecan pieces
1 g / 1/4 tsp of salt
1 g / 1/4 tsp of baking powder
1 g / 1/4 tsp of nutmeg
8 apples, such as royal gala, peeled and sliced
1/2 a lemon, juiced
66 g / 1/4 cup Mirage Margarine, melted
65 g / 1/3 cup of granulated sugar
32 g / 1 tsp cinnamon
- For the topping, beat 1 cup of Mirage Margarine and brown sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and vanille until combined.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, salt, baking powder, pecan pieces and nutmeg to combine. Add the dry ingredients to the margarine mixture and combine until just combined. Wrap and chill white preparing the apples.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Toss the sliced apples with lemon juice in a 10-cup baking dish, then add the granulated sugar, 1/4 cup of melted Mirage Margarine and cinnamon.
- Place the dish into the oven and bake the apples for 20 minutes to soften them.
- While the apples are baking, remove the crumble topping from the fridge and begin breaking it into bite sized pieces.
- Remove the apples from the oven and sprinkle the crumble over the apples. Return the dish to the oven. Bake for 30 minutes, until crumble is a rich golden brown and juices are bubbling.
- Serve warm with your favourite ice cream or whipped cream.
- You can easily make this dish ahead of time when you’re entertaining! Bake everything right to the last instruction, let it cool on the counter and then just reheat in the oven for 10 minutes at 350°F
- Try using a combination of hard and soft apples when making this dish to see which ones you like best.