Scones aren’t just for afternoon tea. Brimming with jam and margarine, these satisfying snacks are great as a mid-afternoon pick-me-up or when running out the door in the morning. Enjoy these right away if you can. If you can’t, try slicing one open, popping it in the toaster and topping with hazelnut spread for a sweet treat.
340 gm / 1½ cup Mirage Margarine, cold
130 gm / ½ cup Dark brown sugar
1 Eggs, large
10 ml / 2 tsp Vanilla extract
500 gm / 4 cups All-purpose flour
8 gm / 1 tbsp Baking powder
2 gm / ½ tsp Baking soda
2 gm / ½ tsp Salt
250 ml / 1 cup Buttermilk, have extra for brushing
2 gm / 2 tsp Pumpkin Spice
180 gm / 1 cup Pecans, chopped
180 gm / 1 cup White chocolate chips
Granulated sugar for dusting
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F(175°C).
- In a large bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Using your finger tips, rub the Mirage Margarine into the flour mixture until it is the size of small peas. Add in the spices, white chocolate and pecans.
- Chill the dough in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- In a measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, egg and vanilla extract and whisk them together with a fork.
- Remove the dry ingredients from the refrigerator and pour in the liquid. Gently knead the dough with your hands until it starts to come together.
- Move the dough to a floured surface and use your hands to shape the dough into a large square about 3cm in height.
- Cut the square into 12 smaller squares or triangles. Brush the tops with a little extra buttermilk, and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Transfer the scones to a baking tray lined with parchment, with about 3cm of space in between each scone.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes (rotating the tray part way through baking), until the scones are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a resting rack to cool slightly. Enjoy these while they’re still warm.