Makes: one 9 inch pie
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 90 minutes
For the Crust:
- 250g / 2 cups all purpose flour
- 70g / ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 170g / ¾ cup Mirage margarine
- 3 egg yolks
For the Filling:
- 30 g / 2 tbsp Mirage margarine, melted
- 125 ml / ½ cup maple syrup
- 100g / ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 5ml / 1 tsp vanilla
- 5ml / 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 220g / 2 cups pecan halves
1. For the tart dough, begin by combining the flour, sugar and Mirage margarine together in a large bowl with an electric hand mixer until crumbly.
5. After resting, crumble the dough into a tart pan with a removable bottom. Gently press the dough into the bottom of the pan, slowly working to the outside edges. Once you get to the edges, begin pressing the dough up the sides of the tart pan.
7. While the tart is resting, pre-heat the oven to 325°F (180°C).
8. Blind bake the tart for 10 to 12 minutes, until the edges start to take on colour and the bottom looks dry. Remove shell from the oven.
9. Adjust the oven temperature to 350°F (180°C).
10. In a bowl, prepare the filling. Whisk together the brown sugar, maple syrup, egg, melted Mirage margarine, vanilla, vinegar, and salt until well combined. Set aside.
11. Spread the toasted pecans evenly across the bottom of the empty tart shell. Pour the filling into the shell over the pecans. Fill the tart with filling as close to the top of the crust as possible.
12. Bake the tart until the filling is puffed and bubbly and the pastry is golden, about 12 minutes.
13. Allow the tart to rest for 1 hour on a resting rack, before serving to allow the hot sugar filling time to set and cool.
14. For best results make this tart a day before serving. Store it covered out on the counter.
- Want to take this recipe up a notch? Add ½ cup of bitter-sweet chocolate chips with the pecans before pouring in the custard.