This classic French-Canadian dessert is perfect during sugar-shack season!
- 112 g / 1/2 cup Mirage Margarine
- 60 g / 1 cup brown sugar
- 5 ml / 1 cup boiling water
- 250 ml / 1 cup maple syrup
- 260 g / 1 1/2 cups all-purpose ﬂour, sifted
- 2 g / 1 tsp baking powder
- 57 g / 1/4 cup of Mirage Margarine
- 200 g / 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 250 ml / 1 cup of milk
- a pinch of salt
For the Cake:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 325°F(160°C).
2. Sift together the flour and baking powder. Put aside.
3. In another bowl, cream the Mirage Margarine with a hand mixer, and gradually incorporate the sugar until you have a smooth and creamy consistency. Make sure to scrape down the bowl with a rubber spatula.
4. Add in 1/4 of the milk and the flour. Mix well, and repeat until out of milk- it’s important to make sure to end with the addition of flour.
5. With a bit of Mirage Margarine, grease a 13 x 9 inch rectangular pan, and fill with cake batter. Put aside.
For the Sauce:
1. In a casserole, mix the Mirage Margarine, the maple syrup, the brown sugar and the boiling water. Bring to boiling point and let simmer for 30 seconds.
2. Pour the sauce onto the cake batter, making sure not to mix!
3. Cook at 325° for 35 minutes.
4. Serve warm with a bit of vanilla ice cream!