If you’re craving just a little bit of carrot cake, these muffins are just the thing.
Makes: 24 muffins
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20-30 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 plus 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups plus 5 tbsp Mirage margarine, divided
- 226g cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F (200C). Line 24 muffin tins with paper liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt.
- Toss the grated carrots with the flour mixture.
- In another bowl, mix the sugars and eggs. Slowly drizzle the 1 ½ cups of melted margarine in and mix well. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Stir until just combined, do not overmix.
- Fill muffin tins 3/4 of the way with batter. Transfer to oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the muffins comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, put together frosting by mixing together the five tablespoons of margarine, cream cheese, vanilla extract, powdered sugar, and ground cinnamon with a rubber spatula until smooth. If using an electric mixer, keep on low speed.
- Let muffins cool completely before spreading the tops with the cream cheese frosting.
- Try piping on the cream cheese frosting with a piping tip for a more polished look. We used a 1 centimeter circular piping tip.