Puffed corn cereal is a dream whenever we need a quick “anytime” snack. Not only is it nutritious, but it goes with just about anything! We decided that the perfect afternoon snack would also include peanut butter and chocolate, so we turned out a batch of these amazing Puffed Cereal Squares for everyone to enjoy.
Prep Time: 7 minutes
Cook Time: 3 minutes
Yield: 15 squares
- 76 g / 1/3 cup Mirage margarine
- 10 ml / 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 242 g / 5 cups mini marshmallows
- 166 g / 2/3 cup peanut butter, smooth or chunky
- 252 g / 6 1/2 cups puffed corn cereal
- 170 g / 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 109 g / 3/4 cup salted peanuts, roughly chopped
1. Spray or grease a 9 x 13 inch (23 x 32.5 centimetre) baking pan. Line with parchment paper. Set aside until needed.
2. In a large pot, over low heat, melt Mirage margarine. Add and stir in vanilla extract and mini marshmallows, until they are melted but still have “lumps.” Take off heat and stir in the peanut butter. Pour in the cereal, chocolate chips, and salted peanuts. Combine with the marshmallow mixture until well coated.
3. Transfer the cereal mixture into the prepared pan. With lightly greased hands, or a piece of parchment placed on top, flatten and press the cereal mixture into the pan. Place into the fridge to chill; about 10 minutes.
- Try substituting your favourite cereal for the puffed corn cereal, for a different take, texture and taste variation for these squares.
- Peanuts can be omitted and/or substituted with different toasted nuts, chips or even dried fruit.
- For gooier squares, do not fully melt the marshmallows; they should be melted but still “lumpy” in texture.
- Wax paper can be used in place of parchment paper.