In our household, nothing goes over better with friends and family than a delicious, warm, homemade pizza. This pizza monkey bread puts a spin on the traditional flat, open faced version. Prep all your ingredients in advance, so that filling and stuffing these little bundles of dough with fresh vegetables, pepperoni and cheeses, can be a family event where everyone is involved in the prep. Once this family fun dinner is complete, serve it with your favourite dipping sauces like a creamy caesar, or warm marinara sauce.
- 220g / 1 cup Pepperoni, sliced and cut in half
- 1 medium Green pepper, diced
- 1 medium Red pepper, diced
- 230g / 2 cups Mozzarella, grated
- 250ml / 1 cup Pizza Sauce
- ½ cup Mirage margarine, melted
- 4g / 1 tbsp Dried Oregano
- 4g / 1 tbsp Dried Basil
- 10g / 1 tbsp Garlic, minced
- 2g / 1 tsp Black pepper, ground
- 35g / ⅓ cup Bread Crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350F (175C).
- Prepare the Mirage milkbun dough up to Step 8, the last step before shaping the dough.
- Divide the dough into 18 pieces, then shape each piece into a ball. Do this by cupping your hand over the dough and rolling it around in a circle on the counter. Cover with a damp towel and rest for 10 minutes.
- Working one at a time, take a ball of dough and press down the center with your thumb to make a well. In it place a few pinches of pepperoni, cheese and peppers.
- Fold the dough in half, around the filling and begin pinching the dough together, sealing it shut, leaving you with a half circle shape. Set aside, press down to gently flatten the dough, and cover with a damp towel, while you repeat with the remaining dough balls.
- Once all the dough balls are filled, brush the inside of a bundt pan, with some of the melted Mirage margarine, then sprinkle across some of the breadcrumb.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the melted margarine, garlic, oregano, basil and black pepper.
- Dip one pizza bundle into the margarine and place it into the prepared pan. Repeat with the remaining bundles, until all of them are nicely tucked into the baking pan.
- Cover with a damp towel, allowing the bundles to proof in the pan for 25-30 minutes.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, uncovered until the dough is golden all over, or a thermometer inserted into the center of the bundle reads 212F (100C).
- Remove from the oven,and leave the pan to cool for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve the buns in the pan, with a side of pizza sauce that has been warmed up, or your favourite creamy caesar dressing.
- For a meatless option, try replacing the pepperoni with sliced mushrooms and some red peppers.
- Make a cheese version by replacing the meat and vegetables with your mix of favourite cheeses and herbs.
- If you don’t have the time to, or just don’t want to make the dough from scratch, head over to your local grocery store or bakery and buy 2 bags of their pre-made, ready to go pizza dough. It will save you time, and costs a little less.