When we’re in the mood for an easy and shareable dinner, our hearts always turn to lasagna. A delicate mushroom filling, sandwiched in between noodles and plenty of cheese – there’s nothing about this that our family won’t adore. Try it tonight, and enjoy the added boost of omega-3 fatty acids that you get with Mirage margarine.
Prep Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 10 – 12 servings
For the mushroom filling
- 42 g / 3 tbsp Mirage margarine
- 908 g / 2 lbs button mushrooms, sliced (about 12 cups)
- 145 g / 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 15 g / 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 5 g / 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 g / 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 4 g / 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 g / 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 g / 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 475 g container / 2 cups full-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
For the sauce
- 27 g / 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 76 g / 1/3 cup Mirage margarine
- 42 g / 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 720 ml / 3 cups milk
- 3 g / 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 g / 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
For the lasagna
- Mirage margarine, to grease pan
- 15 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 203 g / 2 1/4 cups grated mozzarella cheese
For the filling
1. In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon (14 grams) of Mirage margarine over medium-high heat. Add half of the the mushrooms and cook until browned; about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
2. In the same skillet, melt 2 tablespoons (28 grams) of Mirage margarine. Add the onions and cook until softened; 5 minutes. Add the remaining raw mushrooms and cook until browned; about 8 minutes.
3. Transfer the previously-cooked mushrooms to the skillet, along with the garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper and chilli flakes. Stir together and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. In a bowl, stir together ricotta and egg until smooth.
5. Fold the ricotta mixture into the mushroom filling and set aside.
For the sauce
1. Set aside 2 tablespoons (7 grams) of parmesan cheese for topping the lasagna later.
2. Place a medium-sized pot over medium heat and melt Mirage margarine. Add flour and whisk continuously for 2 minutes.
3. Whisk in milk, until smooth, and bring mixture to a simmer. Simmer, stirring, until sauce thickens; about 5 minutes.
For the lasagna
1. Grease a large baking sheet with Mirage margarine.
2. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions, drain and place in a single layer on prepared tray. If using oven-ready lasagna noodles, skip this step.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 9 x 13 inch (23 x 33 centimetre) glass or ceramic baking dish with Mirage margarine.
4. Spread 1/2 cup (120 millilitres) of sauce over the bottom of the dish.
5. Cover with a layer of lasagna noodles. If noodles do not reach to the end of the dish, cut an extra noodle to fill the gap.
7. Spread 1 cup (240 millilitres) of sauce evenly over the mushrooms and sprinkle with 3/4 cup (68 grams) mozzarella.
7. Beginning with the lasagna noodles, repeat layers. Finish with a layer of noodles and sprinkle remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheeses over top.
8. Cover dish tightly with foil and bake in oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake 20 minutes more. Lasagna is finished when golden and bubbling.
9. Remove from oven and allow to rest 15 minutes before serving.
- To make this lasagna extra special, replace 1 pound (454 grams) of the button mushrooms with any wild mushroom of your choice.