Pastry chefs all have one basic cake recipe they use to create all their wonderful cake creations. You now have one too. This basic vanilla cake recipe can be turned into any number of creations, simply by adding in delicious ﬁllings and frostings to the ﬁnishing stage.
230 gm / 1 cup Mirage Margarine, melted
400 gm / 2 cups Granulated Sugar
2 Eggs, large size
4 Egg Whites
180 ml / ¾ cup Milk, room temperature
15 ml / 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
375 gm / 2¾ cups Cake Flour, sifted
12 gm / 2 tbsp Baking Powder
9 gm / 2 tsp Salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F(175°C).
- Coat two 8 inch wide by 3 inch high cake pans with a thin layer of Mirage Margarine, using a paper towel to spread it around.
- In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, cream the Mirage Margarine on high for 3 minutes.
- Add to the margarine, the sugar and continue creaming for 3 minutes more.
- Now add the eggs, egg whites, vanilla extract and milk to the margarine mixture. Continue mixing on high for another 3 minutes, scraping the bowl several times with a rubber spatula.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the sifted ﬂour with the salt and baking powder.
- Add the ﬂour mixture into the margarine mixture in 3 parts, mixing thoroughly before adding each part.
- Divide the batter amongst the 2 baking pans, and give them a sharp tap on the edge of the counter to remove any unwanted large air bubbles.
- Place the pans on the middle rack of the oven with an empty baking sheet on the rack immediately below the pans. This will allow for more even heat distribution and baking of the cakes.
- Bake the cakes until they spring back lightly when pressed in the center, or a toothpick comes out clean, approximately 30-35 minutes.
- Cool the cakes in the pans for a few minutes, then turn them out on to resting racks to cool completely.
- Once cool your cakes are ready to receive any number of ﬁllings, frostings and glazes to create the cake of your dreams.
- This is basic cake batter recipe that can be used to make any number of cakes just by mixing in different items such as fruit, citrus zests, nuts, seeds and even cocoa.
- Cut each cake across the center horizontally to give you a 4 layered torte, giving you extra room to ﬁt in more ﬁlling and make a show stopping cake.
- Once this cake has cooled completely, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, and store it in the freezer for up to a month, just incase you’re the type of person that likes to have a cake ready at all times.