Delicate and delicious, our heart shaped galette is a perfect sweet treat for those that fill your life with love. The jam filling is interchangeable, so add your favourite jam, whether that be blackberry, peach, or nectarine!
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 40 to 45 minutes
Yield: 1 4-person tart
For the pie crust:
- 151 g / 2/3 cup Mirage margarine, cold
- 183 g / 1 1/3 + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour, cold
- 12 g / 1 tbsp sugar
- 6 g / 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp apple-cider vinegar
- 60 ml / 4 tbsp water, ice-cold
For the filling:
- 90 g / 1/3 cup raspberry or strawberry jam
- 1 pint fresh raspberries and about 6 strawberries, for garnish
- 8 g / 2 tsp sugar
- 2 g / 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp water
- 8 g / 2 tsp turbinado sugar
For the glaze:
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp raspberry or strawberry jam
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp hot water
- In a small bowl, measure out 2/3rds of a cup of Mirage margarine (cut the Mirage margarine into pieces or use a small teaspoon to portion it into the bowl). Place into the freezer to freeze for about 45 minutes.
- Measure out the flour, sugar, and salt into a medium-sized bowl. Whisk together until thoroughly combined. Place into the freezer to chill.
- In a small measuring cup, place about a 1/4 cup of water (59 millilitres) with some ice cubes to chill. Set aside in the fridge until ready to use.
- Once the Mirage margarine has chilled, dump the pieces into the cold flour mixture. With a pastry blender/cutter, quickly cut the Mirage margarine into pieces; there should be pieces about the size of small peas and a few larger pieces.
- In a small bowl, add the tablespoon of vinegar (15 millilitres) with 2 tablespoons (30 millilitres) of the ice-cold water, stir to combine. Add the mixture to the flour-butter mixture and gently combine with a fork. Add 1 tablespoon (15 millilitres) at a time, the remaining 2 tablespoons (30 millilitres) of ice-cold water to the mixture, gently mixing it together. Mix gently until the dough comes together when pinched.
- Form dough into a disc and wrap well with plastic wrap. Place into the refrigerator to rest and chill for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425℉ (220℃) and place the oven rack in the bottom third of the oven. Wash, dry, and slice the strawberries; about 1/8 inch (0.3 centimetres) thick. Look over raspberries, discard ones that are moldy. Wash only if raspberries look dirty. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured piece of parchment paper, roll chilled dough into an 11 inch (28 centimetres) circle; between 1/8 and 1/4 inch (0.3 – 0.6 centimetres) thick. Dust dough lightly with flour if it begins to stick to the rolling pin.
- Carefully transfer parchment with the rolled out dough onto a baking sheet. With a sharp knife cut a heart-shape into the dough. A template may be used, but freehand will work equally as well. Place heart in the freezer to chill; about 10 minutes. Lightly bring together the scraps. Reroll dough to 1/8 inch (0.3 centimetre) thick and with a 1 inch (2.5 centimetre) heart-shaped cutter, cut out several hearts. Place onto a plate or baking sheet and into the freezer to chill.
- Take chilled heart out of the freezer, make a 1 inch (2.5 centimetre) cut straight down from the “V” part of the heart.
- Spread 1/3 cup (90 grams) of raspberry or strawberry jam onto the chilled pie crust, leaving about 1 inch (2.5 centimetre) of space from all edges of the heart.
- On the jam, arrange sliced strawberries around the perimetre (tops of the strawberries pointing inwards), overlapping the edges slightly. Arrange the raspberries, tips pointing up, onto the jam.
- Starting on the righthand side of the heart from the cut that was made, start folding the edges over the strawberries, gently pressing folds onto the fruit. Once the folding meets the bottom tip of the heart, go back to the “V” part of the heart and start folding down the edges on the lefthand side of the heart.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and water. Lightly brush egg wash over the crust. Arrange the mini hearts along the edge of the crust, gently pressing down to adhere. Lightly brush the mini hearts with egg wash. Sprinkle mini hearts with turbinado sugar.
- Place galette into the freezer to rest and chill; about 25 minutes. Take out of freezer and place into the preheated oven. Bake for 20 minutes at 425℉ (220℃). Reduce heat to 375℉ (190℃) and bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
For the raspberry glaze:
- In a small bowl stir together jam with the hot water.
- After the galette has cooled for 10 minutes, with a pastry brush, brush or dab glaze onto the strawberries and raspberries.
- Ensure galette has cooled completely before transferring onto a serving platter.
- Change the jam to peach, nectarine, blackberry, or blueberry, and substitute the red berries for fresh sliced peaches or nectarines, whole blackberries, or blueberries.
- As Mirage margarine is spreadable when cold, freezing the margarine ensures that it will not be fully incorporated into the flour when it is being cut in.
- At any time the dough becomes too soft to work with, place into the fridge or freezer to rest and firm up.
- Chilling the galette in the freezer before baking ensures that the dough will hold its’ shape better during baking.