Doesn’t it just feel like portobello mushrooms are made to be stuffed? Flip them over, clean them out, and you’ve got a protein-packed pocket that’s perfect for your favourite stuffing. We even included some rich blue cheese to top it all off! This is an easy way to get even the pickiest of eaters to enjoy their mushrooms.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 250 g / 1/2 bunch Swiss chard, washed
- 56 g / 1/4 cup Mirage margarine, divided
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 g / 1/4 tsp dried chili flakes
- 60 ml / 1/4 cup water
- 57 g / 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 40 g / 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 10 g / 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 g / 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 900 g / 6 large portobello mushrooms, about 5 po (13 cm) diameter, stems and gills removed
- 90 g / 3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese, such as Roquefort, Danish Blue or Gorgonzola
1. Remove the stems from the Swiss chard leaves.
2. Chop the leaves into 1 inch (2.5 centimetre) pieces and the stems into 1/4 inch (1/2 centimetre) pieces.
3. In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons (28 grams) of Mirage margarine over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until softened; about 5 minutes.
4. Add the chopped stems, garlic and chili flakes; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
7. Mix in the breadcrumbs, walnuts, basil and pepper. Set aside.
9. Melt remaining Mirage margarine and brush onto both sides of mushrooms.
11. Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons (15 grams) of blue cheese over each filled mushroom. Return to grill, cover and cook until cheese is melted and filling is heated throughout; 8 – 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Swiss chard may be replaced with one package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained.
- Stuffing may be made up to 3 days in advance. The portobellos are best when grilled and stuffed just prior to serving.