Polenta is a versatile dish that can be a rich and creamy side, or set and cut into different shapes and used either as burger buns, or finished with various toppings and served as hors d’oeuvres. Really you can do whatever you want and have fun with it.
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 1,419 ml / 6 cups chicken or beef stock
- 16 g / 2 tsp salt
- 275 g / 1 3/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 120 g / 8 tbsp Mirage margarine
- Prepare a 22×22 cm / 9×9 inch baking pan by taking 3 tablespoons of Mirage margarine and greasing the bottom and all sides.
- Bring 6 cups of stock to a boil in a large heavy saucepan. Add 2 teaspoons salt. Gradually whisk in the cornmeal. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the mixture thickens and the cornmeal is tender, stirring often, for about 15 minutes. Turn off the heat. Add 3 tablespoons Mirage margarine, and stir until melted.
- After 15 minutes of cooking, pour the thickened polenta into the pan and allow to completely cool, uncovered for an additional 15 minutes, then transfer to the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Invert the tray on to a table or cutting board to remove polenta, and cut 7 cm / 3 inch rounds out and reserve for grilling.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Brush polenta rounds with 2 tablespoons melted Mirage margarine and grill for 5 minutes per side. Serve with your favourite burger and toppings.
- You can variate the liquid by using half cream and half water, or just water, or even vegetable stock for a meatless version.