Sometimes it can be tough to get our family to eat their greens, but not when it comes to this salad. We fried up a healthy portion of goat cheese, and added crisp beets to achieve the perfect balance between creamy, crunchy and delicious.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 4 medium beets
- 14 g / 1 tbsp Mirage margarine, melted
- 45 ml / 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 10 ml / 2 tsp honey
- 4 g / 2 tsp lemon zest (from about 1 small lemon)
- 1 g / 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 76 g / 1/3 cup Mirage margarine, melted
- 62 g / 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp water
- 57 g / 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 10 g / 2 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 11 oz / 300 g goat cheese log
- 42 g / 3 tbsp Mirage margarine
- 140 g / 10 cups mixed mesclun greens, loosely packed
- 138 g / 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 12 g / 2 tbsp finely chopped chives
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
2. Trim the leafy greens from the beets, leaving 1 inch (2.5 centimetre) of the stems attached. Wash the beets and pat dry.
3. Place beets in a baking pan large enough to hold them a single layer and toss them with the Mirage margarine. Tightly cover the pan with a lid or aluminum foil. Roast beets until easily pierced with a sharp knife, about 1 – 1 1/4 hours.
1. Using a handheld or standard blender, combine vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, honey, lemon zest and pepper; blend 20 seconds. Slowly pour in the Mirage margarine and blend for 30 seconds.
1. Place the flour in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs with the water. In a third bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and rosemary.
2. Slice the goat cheese into 8 even rounds.
3. Dredge one slice of cheese in the flour, shaking off any excess flour. Dip cheese into the egg wash, then transfer to the breadcrumb mixture, patting the crumbs on firmly to adhere. Place on a plate and repeat with remaining cheese rounds. Once all the cheese has been breaded, refrigerate for 20 minutes.
1. Toss the greens with about 1/2 cup (120 millilitres) of the dressing, divided between 4 plates. Sprinkle the beets over the greens. Top each salad with 2 rounds of fried goat cheese and garnish with the chives and sliced almonds. Serve immediately, with extra dressing on the side.
- Save the greens trimmed from the beets. They can be sautéed with garlic and Mirage margarine for a quick side dish – or added to soups, stews, or even smoothies!