French onion soup is a warm, rich, and soothing cold weather meal. It may come as a surprise but this soup doesn’t take much effort to whip up and enjoy in your own home.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 6 medium onions, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 57 g / 1/4 cup Mirage margarine
- 7 g / 1 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 4 g / 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 g / 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 or 2 sprigs each of rosemary and thyme
- 1.4 L / 6 cups vegetable stock
- 240 ml / 1 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 16 g / 3 tbsp flour
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
For the Crostini:
- French baguette sliced at an angle in 1/4″ (0.6 cm) slices (depending on how many servings needed, 1 or 2 slices per bowl)
- Mirage margarine for spreading
- Gruyère or Swiss cheese, grated, about 1/4 cup (25 g) per bowl
For the French Onion Soup:
- In a large pot, over medium heat, melt Mirage margarine until bubbling. Add sliced onions. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook onions for 45 minutes until dark golden in colour. Once caramelized, add salt, sugar, pepper, and sprigs of rosemary and thyme. Cook for 5 minutes. Click here for our caramelized onions recipe.
- Meanwhile over high heat, combine stock and water into a medium pot. Add bay leaves, heat until it comes to a simmer; about 2 minutes.
- Add flour and garlic to the caramelized onions, stir continuously and cook for about a minute or until garlic is fragrant.
- Add hot stock. Scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Simmer for 20 minutes. While soup is simmering, make crostini.
- After 20 minutes of simmering, take off heat and discard rosemary and thyme stems, and bay leaves. Stir in balsamic vinegar.
- Ladle into ceramic or oven-proof bowls.
For the Crostini:
- Preheat oven to 350℉ (180℃).
- Spread Mirage margarine onto the sliced baguette. Once oven is preheated place prepared bread onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake until crostini is golden brown, about 10 minutes. Set aside until ready to assemble soups. Preheat oven to broil.
- Place bowls onto a baking sheet; fill with soup. Lay 1 or 2 slices of toasted bread on the surface of each bowl of soup. Divide and sprinkle the cheese amongst the bowls of soup, covering the crostini.
- Broil for 6 to 10 minutes until cheese is lightly golden brown and bubbling.
- Serve immediately.
- Replace water with red or white wine, for added depth of flavour.