This decadent baked cheese cake allows you to have your sweet and your coffee all in one serving. The secret to a smooth cheesecake with a flat surface is a moist oven and low, slow cooking. Keep the temperature from fluctuating too much to make that perfect cake every time.
- 50 gm / 1/4 cup Mirage Margarine, melted
- 1½ cup Cocoa shortbread cookies, crushed
- 500 gm / 2 cups Cream cheese, room temperature
- 80 ml / ⅓ cup Coffee, cold
- 10 gm / 1 tbsp Instant coffee
- 200 gm / 1 cup Granulated sugar
- 2 Eggs, room temperature
1. Pre-heat the oven to 275°F(135°C). On the bottom rack of the oven, place a shallow casserole dish filled with warm water. This will create a moist oven that helps prevent the cheesecake from cracking.
2. In a bowl, mix the melted Mirage® Margarine and the crushed chocolate shortbread cookies.
3. Press the mixture into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Place this in the oven and bake for 10 minutes to set the crumb. Remove and allow to cool while you mix the cream cheese custard.
4. In a large bowl mix the the cream cheese, sugar, coffee, and instant coffee with an electric mixer set to medium until smooth, about 5 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl several times with a rubber spatula.
7. Place the cheesecake into the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes. The edges should just start to turn golden and the center should still have a slight wiggle.
8. Prop open the oven door slightly and turn the oven off. Leave the cheesecake here for 20 minutes before removing from the oven.
9. Pull the cake from the oven and run a wet knife around the edge. Allow the cake to rest for 1 hour before removing the outer ring.
10. Store the cake in the fridge covered with plastic wrap, and allow it to cool for 3 hours before serving.
- Feel free to substitute other flavours of fruit and nuts into this recipe; just be sure maintain a consistent volume of liquid.
- If your cake cracks, that’s ok! Spread a thin layer of chocolate frosting across the top before serving.
- If you don’t have time to make your own shortbread cookies, pick up a box of chocolate cookie crumbs.