Indulge your passion for chocolate with the waffles of your sweetest dreams! The chocolate never ends in this incredible recipe that’s a perfect dessert. Or, top it with fruit or berries for a decadent breakfast or brunch! Enjoy treating your family to something special – they’ll know it’s delicious, and you’ll know you’ve given them a boost of Omega-3.
Yield: 6 6-inch round waffles (depends on the waffle maker used)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 4 to 6 minutes per waffle
For the waffle iron:
- Mirage margarine, melted
For the double chocolate waffles:
- 250 g / 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 52 g / ½ cup cocoa powder (preferably dark)
- 72 g / ⅓ cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 100 g / ½ cup sugar, divided
- 13 g / 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 g / ½ tsp baking soda
- 4 g / 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 170 g / 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 360 ml / 1 ½ cups milk
- 76 g / ⅓ cup Mirage margarine, melted
- 2 eggs, separated
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- Using a pastry brush, lightly grease a waffle iron with melted Mirage margarine. Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, dark brown sugar, ¼ cup (50 g) sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon until well mixed and no lumps remain. Stir in the white chocolate chips.
- In a large measuring cup or bowl, whisk together the milk, the melted Mirage margarine, egg yolks, and vanilla extract until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. With a rubber spatula stir until the dry ingredients are just moistened; do not overmix as there should be a few lumps still remaining.
- In a grease-free, glass or stainless steel bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Slowly add the remaining ¼ cup (50 g) sugar into the egg whites while continuously whisking. Whisk until whites are glossy and stiff peaks form; do not over whip.
- Fold ⅓ of the whites into the batter to lighten. Quickly and carefully fold the remaining whites into the batter until just combined.
- Using a ladle or measuring cup, pour about ¾ cup of the batter into the hot waffle iron (amount used will depend on the size of the waffle iron; follow the manufacturer’s instructions). Close the iron. Waffles should be done when the steam stops and waffles are crispy; about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Carefully remove waffle and place onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve immediately and garnish with desired toppings.
- Ensure all ingredients are at room temperature before proceeding with recipe.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of finely grated orange zest for double chocolate orange waffles.
- Instead of white chocolate chips, dark chocolate or milk chocolate chips can be substituted.
- For added flavour depth, add 1 teaspoon of instant espresso powder to the dry ingredients.
- Serve dusted with powdered sugar. For a decadent breakfast or dessert, serve with whipped cream or ice cream, dark chocolate chips, and/or berries.