Indulge your passion for chocolate with the waffles of your sweetest dreams! The chocolate never ends in this incredible recipe that’s a perfect dessert. Or, top it with fruit or berries for a decadent breakfast or brunch! Enjoy treating your family to something special – they’ll know it’s delicious, and you’ll know you’ve given them a boost of Omega-3.
Yield: 6 6-inch round waffles (depends on the waffle maker used)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 4 to 6 minutes per waffle
For the waffle iron
- Mirage margarine, melted
For the double chocolate waffles
- 250 g / 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 52 g / ½ cup cocoa powder (preferably dark)
- 72 g / ⅓ cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 100 g / ½ cup sugar, divided
- 13 g / 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 g / ½ tsp baking soda
- 4 g / 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 170 g / 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 360 ml / 1 ½ cups milk
- 76 g / ⅓ cup Mirage margarine, melted
- 2 eggs, separated
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
1. Using a pastry brush, lightly grease a waffle iron with melted Mirage margarine. Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, dark brown sugar, ¼ cup (50 g) sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon until well mixed and no lumps remain. Stir in the white chocolate chips.
3. In a large measuring cup or bowl, whisk together the milk, the melted Mirage margarine, egg yolks, and vanilla extract until thoroughly mixed.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. With a rubber spatula stir until the dry ingredients are just moistened; do not overmix as there should be a few lumps still remaining.
5. In a grease-free, glass or stainless steel bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Slowly add the remaining ¼ cup (50 g) sugar into the egg whites while continuously whisking. Whisk until whites are glossy and stiff peaks form; do not over whip.
6. Fold ⅓ of the whites into the batter to lighten. Quickly and carefully fold the remaining whites into the batter until just combined.
7. Using a ladle or measuring cup, pour about ¾ cup of the batter into the hot waffle iron (amount used will depend on the size of the waffle iron; follow the manufacturer’s instructions). Close the iron. Waffles should be done when the steam stops and waffles are crispy; about 4 to 6 minutes.
8. Carefully remove waffle and place onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Repeat with the remaining batter.
9. Serve immediately and garnish with desired toppings.
- Ensure all ingredients are at room temperature before proceeding with recipe.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of finely grated orange zest for double chocolate orange waffles.
- Instead of white chocolate chips, dark chocolate or milk chocolate chips can be substituted.
- For added flavour depth, add 1 teaspoon of instant espresso powder to the dry ingredients.
- Serve dusted with powdered sugar. For a decadent breakfast or dessert, serve with whipped cream or ice cream, dark chocolate chips, and/or berries.