We decided that we would take 2 of our favourite things, apples and pizza, and make them into a quick, easy dessert that reminds us of grandmas kitchen. Make the dough the night before, and you’ll be ready to jump into the kitchen and whip up this deep dish pizza pie.
Serves: 8 slices
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
For the Pizza:
- 1/2 batch Mirage Milk Bun Dough
- 4g / 1 tsp cinnamon
- 93g / ¾ cup flour
- 66g / ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 50g / ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 56g / 1/4 cup Mirage Margarine, plus extra for coating pan
- 1.5g / ¼ tsp salt
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and grated.
For the Glaze:
- 60g / ½ cup icing sugar
- 15ml / 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 15ml / 1 tbsp 35% cream
1. Preheat the oven to 425F (220C).
2. Using a little Mirage Margarine, generously grease a round cake pan or deep pie plate.
3. Place the ball of Mirage milk bun dough in the cake pan and press outwards until the edges of the dough are creeping up the sides of the pan.
4. In a small bowl toss the grated apples with the cinnamon until evenly coated.
5. Place the tossed apples into the pressed dough, evenly spreading it across the bottom of the dough.
6. Prepare the crumble by tossing the flour and sugars together in a bowl.
7. Melt the Mirage margarine, pour over the tossed flour and sugar mixture, and begin squeezing into crumbs.
8. Sprinkle the crumbs over the apples.
9. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the crust and topping are golden brown.
10. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
11. While cooling the pizza, whisk the icing sugar, maple syrup, and cream together.
12. Adjust the consistency with a little extra cream if it is too stiff, or icing sugar if it is too wet.
13. Drizzle the glaze over the warm pizza with a spoon, and allow it to run down into the crumble.
14. Cut into wedges and serve while warm, on it’s own or with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- For a quick and easy deep dish dessert pizza, grab a ball of pizza dough from the deli or bakery section of your local supermarket.
- Granny smiths are perfect for this recipe because of their firm texture and their sweet and sour flavour that will balance the sweetness of the recipe.