Have you ever had someone tell you to “eat your greens”? Well, you won’t have to say a word when these green beans come out. Coated with chili, limes, and garlic, these are a staple around our dinner table. Rich in antioxidants, and in taste, these beans pack the perfect crunch!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 7 minutes
Yield: 4 servings (sides)
- 1 L / 4 cups water
- 18 g / 1 tbsp salt
- 454 g / 3 cups green beans, washed and ends trimmed
- 42 g / 3 tbsp Mirage margarine
- 2 g / 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 g / 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 4 tsp / 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 g / 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 g / 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 4 g / 2 tsp lime, finely grated
1. Place a medium-sized pot with about 4 cups water and 1 tablespoon of salt to boil on medium-high heat. When it reaches a boil, drop in the trimmed green beans and blanch for about 2 minutes. With a pair of tongs, place blanched beans into a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Once cooled, drain beans and set aside until needed.
2. In a medium pan, or a skillet over medium heat, melt Mirage margarine. Add the garlic powder, chili flakes, and sliced garlic. Sauté for about a minute, or until garlic becomes fragrant. Make sure not to burn.
3. Add the blanched green beans, black pepper, and salt to taste. Sauté the green beans until they are heated through and well coated in the Mirage margarine and garlic; about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Toss the green beans with the fresh lime juice and finely grated lime zest. Transfer green beans to a serving platter. Serve immediately.
- Have a large bowl of ice water prepared for blanching the green beans quickly.
- Lemon can easily be used as a substitute for lime.
- This is an easy, and tasty, side dish for any BBQ or picnic.