The surprising combination of mandarin oranges and sesame seeds make for a fruity muffin that isn’t too sweet.
Makes: 24 muffins
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1 navel orange
- 1 cup mandarin orange segments
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup Mirage margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds<
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Place muffin liners in a standard muffin tin.
- Zest navel orange. Set aside.
- Strain syrup from mandarin oranges. Chop into rough pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, orange zest, and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk, vanilla, egg, and melted margarine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined. Do not overmix. Fold in the mandarin oranges.
- Fill the muffin tins 3/4 of the way up. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the muffins comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle the muffins with turbinado sugar to add some extra crunch.
- Add a few drops of sesame oil to the wet ingredients for added flavour. Don’t add too much, as sesame oil is very strong.