These cakes are so lovely, airy, pretty, and delicious, and are the perfect dessert for a girls night, tea party, or just a sunny Sunday afternoon treat.
Makes: 12 muffin-sized cakes or 6 medium-sized rounds
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
For the cake:
- 145 g / 2/3 cup Mirage margarine
- 250 g / 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 160 ml / 2/3 cup milk
- 5 ml / 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 280 g / 2 cups flour
- 4 g / 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 g / 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 120 ml / 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 60 g / 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 340 g / 2 cups strawberries, hulled and roughly sliced
- Preheat oven to 140°C / 300°F.
- Cream Mirage margarine and sugar with a hand or stand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Blend in milk and vanilla extract.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add. Beat until smooth.
- Pour 12 portions into a muffin cup lined tin or make 6 large portions if you have a large muffin tin.
- Bake at 140°C / 300°F for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- In the meantime, whip cream until just thick, add sifted icing sugar and continue to whip until stiff. Place in the fridge until ready to assemble.
- Remove the paper from the cooled cake and slice in half horizontally. Add a generous amount of cream and strawberries to the bottom half of the cake, top with the other half, and if desired, finish off with more sifted icing sugar.
- Although Victoria sponge is generally with strawberries, feel free to add in a variety of seasonal fruits into the mix like plums, blueberries, or even pineapple.