In just 20 minutes, you could be enjoying a warm, gluten-free cappuccino souffle, bursting with rich coffee and chocolate flavours. Either serve it dusted with some icing sugar, or a big scoop of your favourite ice cream and you’ve got an easy dessert that will leave your family impressed.
Makes: four 8 ounce ramekins
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 113g / 1/4 cup Mirage margarine, plus extra for greasing
- 10g / 2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 170g / 6 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
- 7 g / 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 50g / 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Grease four 8-ounce ramekins with mirage margarine.
- Coat the ramekins with the cocoa, tapping out any excess that doesn’t stick.
- Run your finger along the top, inside edge of the ramekin, removing any margarine and cocoa that is along the top. This clean edge is what will give your souffle the perfect, clean lifted edge.
- Melt the chocolate and Mirage margarine together in the microwave, stirring every 20 seconds until smooth.
- Add the instant coffee to the chocolate mixture and stir until combined.
- Whisk the yolks into the chocolate mixture one at a time until smooth. Cover and set aside.
- In a clean bowl, wiped with a splash of vinegar, beat the egg whites with the sugar, until stiff, shiny peaks form.
- Gently fold the egg-white mixture into the chocolate, in 3 parts.
- Spoon into batter into the ramekins.
- Bake until puffed and set, which should take about 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately, dusted with a little icing sugar if you wish.
- Souffle really isn’t as hard to make as some classical chefs would have you think. The key to success, is to have all your ingredients measured out and equipment ready to go. Knowing where everything is will allow you to get this dessert from the oven to the table without having it deflate on you.