This sweet and salty brownie with crunchy pretzels and smooth caramel will absolutely knock your socks off.
Makes: 24 brownies
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35-45 minutes
- 320g / 1½ cups milk chocolate, cut into pieces, or chocolate chips
- 225g / 1 cup Mirage margarine, room temperature
- 3g / 1 tsp instant coffee
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 130g / ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 320g / 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 10ml / 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5g / 1 tsp salt
- 175g / 1¼ cups all-purpose ﬂour
- 15g / 2 tbsp cocoa, sifted
- 15g / 2 tsp cornstarch
- 60g / 1 cup mini pretzels, lightly broken
- 80g / 1 cup caramel chips
- 2g / 2 tsp large flake sea salt, such as Maldon
- Preheat the oven to 325F(160C).
- Coat the inside of an 8 inch square pan with Mirage margarine. Line the bottom and sides of the pan with parchment.
- In a large heat-proof bowl, combine the chocolate, Mirage margarine and instant coffee. Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water, making sure the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl. Stir this bowl occasionally while you prepare the other half to the recipe. Once the chocolate and Mirage margarine are completely melted, keep this mixture warm.
- In a separate bowl with an electric mixer on high, combine the eggs, both sugars, vanilla extract and salt. Mix for about 6 minutes, scraping down the sides occasionally with a rubber spatula.
- In a smaller bowl, sift together the ﬂour, cocoa, and cornstarch. Set this aside for now.
- Turn off the mixer and add the chocolate mixture to the egg mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon just until the chocolate and egg are completely combined.
- Pour the ﬂour mixture into the chocolate and mix on low just until combined. You should no longer see any chunks of ﬂour.
- Fold in the pretzels and caramel chips into the batter.
- Pour the dough into the prepared pan, sprinkle the top with the sea salt and place in the oven. Bake for 35-45 minutes until there is a ﬁrm, slight jiggle in the centre and the edges are just starting to crack.
- Remove from the oven and allow the brownie to cool in the pan for at least 2 hours. This allows the chocolate time to re-set.
- Slice and enjoy.
- When you’re ready to slice the brownies, be sure to remove the parchment paper before you start cutting. You don’t want bits of paper in the food.