Traditionally a quiche has a flaky crust made from flour and fat, rolled out, lining a pan. Here cooked quinoa is mixed with margarine and egg whites, then pressed into a pie dish. This quiche is filled with sweet red peppers which complements the creamy richness of a goat brie style cheese.
50 g/ 1/3 cup Quinoa, cooked
60 g / 2 tbsp Mirage margarine, melted
2 Egg whites
Pinch Black pepper
100 g/ 1/2 cup Goat brie cheese, sliced
100 g/ 1/2 cup Roasted red peppers, thinly sliced
1 g / 1/2 tsp Paprika
60 ml / 1/4 cup Milk
1 g / 1/2 tsp Salt
- Prepare the quinoa as directed by the package. Drain and allow it to cool.
- Pre-heat your oven to 350F(180C)
- While the quinoa is cooling begin making the filling. Into a mixing bowl crack open the eggs, and whisk together with the paprika, milk and salt. Fold in the peppers and the goat brie. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Into a separate bowl stir together the cooled quinoa, melted Mirage margarine, pepper and egg whites. The mixture will be sticky.
- Line the bottom of a pie plate with a circle of parchment, and brush the sides with Mirage margarine. Pour the quinoa mixture into the lined pie plate. Begin pressing the quinoa mixture into the sides and bottom creating an even layer covering as much of the pie plate as possible.
- Pour the filling into the quinoa crust, and distribute the roasted red peppers and goat brie. Place the quiche into the oven and let it bake for 20-30 minutes until the centre has a firm jiggle and the surface is golden.
- If the quiche is getting too dark too fast, turn your temperature down by 25 degrees.
- Once golden and firm, remove the quiche from the oven and allow it to rest for 5 minutes before serving, as it will be very hot.
- Try filling this quiche with any of your favourite vegetables, cheese and spices.
- Fresh herbs add a burst of flavour, try this roasted red pepper and goat cheese with fresh basil and oregano.