Nothing complements cranberry quite like the fresh zest of an orange. These scones are perfect when served warm, with marmalade and a spot of tea.
340 gm / 1½ cup Mirage Margarine, cold
130 gm / ½ cup Dark brown sugar
1 Eggs, large
10 ml / 2 tsp Vanilla extract
500 gm / 4 cups All-purpose flour
8 gm / 1 tbsp Baking powder
2 gm / ½ tsp Baking soda
2 gm / ½ tsp Salt
250 ml / 1 cup Buttermilk, have extra for brushing
2 gm / 2 tsp Orange Zest
180 gm / 1 cup Dried Cranberries, Chopped
Granulated sugar for dusting
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F(175°C).
- In a large bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cranberries, orange zest and salt.
- Using your finger tips, rub the Mirage Margarine into the flour mixture until it is the size of small peas.
- Chill the dough in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- In a measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, egg and vanilla extract and whisk them together with a fork.
- Remove the dry ingredients from the refrigerator and pour in the liquid. Gently knead the dough with your hands until it starts to come together.
- Move the dough to a floured surface and use your hands to shape the dough into a large square about 3cm in height.
- Cut the square into 12 smaller squares. Brush the tops with a little extra buttermilk, and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Transfer the scones to a baking tray lined with parchment, with about 3cm of space in between each scone.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes (rotating the tray part way through baking), until the scones are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a resting rack to cool slightly. Enjoy these while they’re still warm.