Chocolate coconut macaroons store well, and look great in a holiday cookie tin for exchange with friends and family. In the test kitchen we found that folding in some chocolate chips before shaping makes them extra rich and delicious.
Makes: 30 macaroons
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook & Rest Time: 60 minutes
- 1/4 cup Mirage margarine
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Combine the margarine, milk, sugar, and cocoa powder in a saucepan and melt ingredients together over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Bring to a rolling boil, then continue to cook for 4 – 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from heat and add the vanilla. The milk will steam and bubble up a lot when you add it, so be careful. Add the rolled oats, coconut, and chocolate chips, then stir until combined.
- Spoon out onto sheets of waxed or parchment paper and let set. Once set, serve immediately or keep stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Make these a little more festive by folding in crushed candy canes with the oats, coconut, and chocolate chips