When we’re in the mood for an easy and shareable dinner, our hearts always turn to lasagna. A delicate mushroom filling, sandwiched in between noodles and plenty of cheese – there’s nothing about this that our family won’t adore. Try it tonight, and enjoy the added boost of omega-3 fatty acids that you get with Mirage margarine.
Prep Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 10 – 12 servings
For the mushroom filling:
- 42 g / 3 tbsp Mirage margarine
- 908 g / 2 lbs button mushrooms, sliced (about 12 cups)
- 145 g / 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 15 g / 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 5 g / 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 g / 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 4 g / 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 g / 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 g / 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 475 g container / 2 cups full-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
For the sauce:
- 27 g / 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 76 g / 1/3 cup Mirage margarine
- 42 g / 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 720 ml / 3 cups milk
- 3 g / 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 g / 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
For the lasagna:
- Mirage margarine, to grease pan
- 15 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 203 g / 2 1/4 cups grated mozzarella cheese
For the filling:
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon (14 grams) of Mirage margarine over medium-high heat. Add half of the the mushrooms and cook until browned; about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same skillet, melt 2 tablespoons (28 grams) of Mirage margarine. Add the onions and cook until softened; 5 minutes. Add the remaining raw mushrooms and cook until browned; about 8 minutes.
- Transfer the previously-cooked mushrooms to the skillet, along with the garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper and chilli flakes. Stir together and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, stir together ricotta and egg until smooth.
- Fold the ricotta mixture into the mushroom filling and set aside.
For the sauce:
- Set aside 2 tablespoons (7 grams) of parmesan cheese for topping the lasagna later.
- Place a medium-sized pot over medium heat and melt Mirage margarine. Add flour and whisk continuously for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in milk, until smooth, and bring mixture to a simmer. Simmer, stirring, until sauce thickens; about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
For the lasagna:
- Grease a large baking sheet with Mirage margarine.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions, drain and place in a single layer on prepared tray. If using oven-ready lasagna noodles, skip this step.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 9 x 13 inch (23 x 33 centimetre) glass or ceramic baking dish with Mirage margarine.
- Spread 1/2 cup (120 millilitres) of sauce over the bottom of the dish.
- Cover with a layer of lasagna noodles. If noodles do not reach to the end of the dish, cut an extra noodle to fill the gap.
- Cover noodles with half of the mushroom filling.
- Spread 1 cup (240 millilitres) of sauce evenly over the mushrooms and sprinkle with 3/4 cup (68 grams) mozzarella.
- Beginning with the lasagna noodles, repeat layers. Finish with a layer of noodles and sprinkle remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheeses over top.
- Cover dish tightly with foil and bake in oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake 20 minutes more. Lasagna is finished when golden and bubbling.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest 15 minutes before serving.
- To make this lasagna extra special, replace 1 pound (454 grams) of the button mushrooms with any wild mushroom of your choice.