These pumpkin muffins have a decadent cheesecake surprise to brighten up your morning coffee routine.
Makes: 12 muffins
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook and Rest Time: 2 hours and 45 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp plus 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, divided
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp maple syrup, divided
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/8 cup plus 1 tbsp Mirage margarine, divided
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp gluten free rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Line muffin tin with muffin cups, or brush with melted Mirage margarine.
- Combine almond meal, canned pumpkin, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin spice, and sea salt in a large bowl to make a paste.
- In another bowl whisk together one teaspoon of vanilla extract, eggs, and 1/4 cup of maple syrup.
- Fold the pumpkin mixture into the egg mixture with a spatula to make batter.
- In separate bowl, combine cream cheese, 1/8 cup of margarine, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla, and powdered sugar to make the cheese cake filling. Stir well until combined and pour into batter mixture, and using a fork ribbon the cream cheese mixture through the batter without incorporating.
- Prepare pepita topping by combining pumpkin seeds, rolled oats, two tablespoons of maple syrup, one tablespoon of melted margarine, cinnamon, salt, and brown sugar.
- Spoon the dough into the muffin tin and sprinkle with pepita topping. Cook for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Place muffins in refrigerator for two hours to set cream cheese.
- Cream cheese too stiff to stir? Microwave it in five second intervals to soften it, but don’t let it get too hot!