It’s easy to add a little spooky to this classic childhood treat, using green food colouring, candy coated chocolates and black licorice ropes. This recipe only takes about 20 minutes to prepare, which means it’s perfect to make with the kids!
350 g / 5 cups Mini marshmallows
60 g / 1/4 cup Mirage Margarine
250 g / 6 cups Rice crisp cereal
15 ml / 1 tbsp Vanilla extract
200 g / 1 cup Black coating chocolate wafers
32 Coloured round candy covered chocolate
16 Small ridged black licorice tubes
Green gel food colouring
Disposable piping bags
- In a large, deep pot melt the marshmallows with the Mirage Margarine over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until nice and smooth. Add in approximately 1/8 of a teaspoon of green gel food colouring, and stir until the colour is even.
- Stir the rice cereal and vanilla extract into the marshmallows. Stirr until the cereal is evenly coated.
- Scrape the sticky mixture into a parchment lined 13- x 9-inch baking dish that is lined with margarine and parchment paper.
- Let the mixture rest in the pan for 30 minutes to one hour, until cool and solid.
- Once cool, turn out the treats onto a large cutting board. Cut the into quarters lengthwise and the again width wise to leave you with 16 individual treats.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt coating chocolate for 20 seconds. Stir and repeat for 20 seconds. Continue this until the chocolate is smooth and even.
- Transfer the chocolate to the disposable piping bag and begin piping the chocolate across the top for hair. Once the monsters have their hair done, begin piping mouths and eyes.
- Before the chocolate solidifies stick the candy covered chocolates where you have piped chocolate for eyes. Feel free to add a little extra decoration by piping a dot of chocolate for an iris on each eye.
- One at a time dip each piece of licorice into the remaining melted chocolate, and stick it to either side of the square as neck bolts.
- Allow the chocolate to cool for 5 minutes before serving and store in an air tight container for up to 3 days.
- Make your monsters as green as you like by adding little or a lot of green gel colouring.
- Feel free to replace the vanilla extract with peppermint, almond, or even lemon extract to give you and exciting new flavour in your crispy cereal treats.