With this crust free pumpkin pie, you’ll never have to worry about making that perfect dough ever again.
Serves: 8 to 12 slices
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
For the topping
- 50g / 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 35g / 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 14g / 1 tbsp Mirage margarine, softened
For the pie
- 1 can (16 ounces) pumpkin
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated skimmed milk
- 55g / 1/4 cup Mirage margarine
- 3 eggs
- 100g / 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 65g / 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2g / 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2g / 3/4 tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180C).
- Grease the inside of the pie plate with Mirage margarine.
- In small bowl, mix the topping ingredients together and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and pumpkin pie spice. Whisk until combined.
- Add the evaporated milk, eggs and pumpkin to the bowl of dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the melted Mirage margarine into the pumpkin mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pie plate, sprinkle the brown sugar oat topping over the surface and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 15 minutes then refrigerate about 4 hours or until chilled. Cooling this pie is important as it allows for the starch to set and hold the pie together.
- Serve reheated with a little whipped cream or your favourite ice cream.
- The secret to this delicious, moist pie is that the flour in the mixture acts as a binder, holding the pie together. The flour that is on the outside edges of the pie, become caramelized and act as a crust.
- Make mini pumpkin pies by baking the batter in a greased muffin tin. Allow the pies to cool for about 20 minutes, before turning them out onto a resting rack to fully cool.