A holiday favourite in the Golden Gate test kitchen, these little crispy chocolate peanut butter balls are the perfect mix of sweet and salty, smooth and crunchy.
Makes: 30 pieces
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook & Rest Time: 60 minutes
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 1/4 cup Mirage margarine
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 2/3 cup puffed rice cereal
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, or in a large bowl with electric beaters, beat peanut butter and Mirage margarine until creamy and smooth. Gradually add vanilla extract and icing sugar on low speed, speeding up once they become more combined. At this point you should have a cookie dough consistency.
- Using a spatula, gently fold in puffed rice cereal so it gets distributed evenly throughout the batter, adding more if desired. Be careful not to crush all the cereal so it stays crispy.
- Once combined, roll dough into balls and place on a parchment-covered baking sheet. Don’t worry if the balls are a bit crumbly, just roll them as smooth as you can.
- Refrigerate the cookie dough balls for 60 – 90 minutes to let them firm up.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave, using 30 second intervals.
- Remove cookie dough balls from the fridge and dip in chocolate, then place back on the parchment lined baking sheet. Refrigerate for another 30 minutes or until the chocolate coating has set before serving. Keep stored in the refrigerator.
- For extra nutty crunch, fold in one cup of chopped, roasted, and salted peanuts with the puffed rice cereal.