If you like a little sweet with your heat, this is the sauce you need. It pairs a classic blend of seasonings and spices with the richness of dark chocolate and coffee, for a sweet and bold flavour. Pour or paint it on your ribs, chicken, chops, and more, or use it for an incredible dip. You’ll be firing up the barbecue all year long with this recipe in your grilling arsenal!
Yield: 500 ml 2 cups
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 24g / 2 tbsp Mirage margarine
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 cloves / 2 tsp minced garlic
- 250 ml / 1 cup ketchup
- 125 ml / ½ cup brewed coffee
- 70 g / ½ cup chopped 70% dark chocolate
- 50 g / ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 15 g / 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 7 g / 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 7 g / 2 tsp ancho chili powder
- 7 g / 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 g / 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 g / ½ tsp salt
- Heat Mirage margarine in a medium pot over medium heat. Stir in onion and cook until softened; about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and slowly bring to a simmer while stirring constantly; reduce heat to low. Simmer for 3-5 minutes, stirring often, or until slightly thickened and all ingredients are blended.
- Use in place of prepared BBQ sauce.
- Smoked paprika can be found in most grocery stores. It adds a sweet and smoky flavour to the BBQ sauce
- Try using milk chocolate for a smoother sweeter flavour
- This is the perfect sauce for ribs, your favourite steak or as a glaze for duck
- If BBQ sauce is too thick for your liking add up to 60 ml / ¼ cup of water to simmering sauce