Have you ever had someone tell you to “eat your greens”? Well, you won’t have to say a word when these green beans come out. Coated with chili, limes, and garlic, these are a staple around our dinner table. Rich in antioxidants, and in taste, these beans pack the perfect crunch!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 7 minutes
Yield: 4 servings (sides)
For the green beans:
- 1 L / 4 cups water
- 18 g / 1 tbsp salt
- 454 g / 3 cups green beans, washed and ends trimmed
- 42 g / 3 tbsp Mirage margarine
- 2 g / 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 g / 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 4 tsp / 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 g / 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 g / 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 4 g / 2 tsp lime, finely grated
- Place a medium-sized pot with about 4 cups water and 1 tablespoon of salt to boil on medium-high heat. When it reaches a boil, drop in the trimmed green beans and blanch for about 2 minutes. With a pair of tongs, place blanched beans into a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Once cooled, drain beans and set aside until needed.
- In a medium pan, or a skillet over medium heat, melt Mirage margarine. Add the garlic powder, chili flakes, and sliced garlic. Sauté for about a minute, or until garlic becomes fragrant. Make sure not to burn.
- Add the blanched green beans, black pepper, and salt to taste. Sauté the green beans until they are heated through and well coated in the Mirage margarine and garlic; about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Toss the green beans with the fresh lime juice and finely grated lime zest. Transfer green beans to a serving platter. Serve immediately.
- Have a large bowl of ice water prepared for blanching the green beans quickly.
- Lemon can easily be used as a substitute for lime.
- This is an easy, and tasty, side dish for any BBQ or picnic.