Rich and creamy, we are claiming this is the best cheddar broccoli soup recipe out there. Nothing beats homemade soup in winter.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 90 g / 6 tbsp Mirage margarine, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 40 g / 5 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 480 ml / 2 cups milk, homogenized (3.25%)
- 900 ml / 3 3/4 cups broth, vegetable or chicken
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 300 g / 3 cups broccoli (stems and florets), cut small
- 10 ml / 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 5 ml / 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 6 g / 1 tsp sugar
- 3 g / 1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 6 g / 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 g / 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 2 g / 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 g / 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 g / 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 220 g / 2 cups extra-old/sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Steamed or raw broccoli florets
- Grated cheese
- In a large pot, over medium heat, place 2 tablespoons (30 grams) of Mirage margarine and sautée onions and carrots until soft. Add garlic, stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Do not burn. Take out onion mixture.
- In the same large pot, melt remainder 4 tablespoons (60 grams) of Mirage margarine. Sprinkle flour over melted Mirage margarine. Lower heat and stir with a wooden spoon until the flour mixture forms a paste, starts to bubble, and turns golden in colour, about 3 to 4 minutes. This is called a roux.
- Slowly pour in milk, incorporating it into the roux with a whisk. The roux will thicken and sputter as you whisk in the liquid. Repeat process with the broth. Once all liquids have been whisked in, add bay leaves and bring to a boil. Lower temperature and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add chopped broccoli and onion mixture. Add balsamic vinegar, worcestershire sauce, sugar, pepper, salt, dry mustard, paprika, nutmeg, and cayenne. Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Turn off heat. For a chunkier soup, leave as is or mash some of the broccoli into smaller pieces. Alternatively, for a smooth soup, let the soup cool for 15 minutes before pouring contents into a blender. Fill blender halfway and purée. Pour puréed soup into a large pot. Repeat this process with rest of soup. Gently heat up the soup until it begins to simmer. Do not boil.
- Turn off heat. Add cheddar cheese in 4 parts, whisk into soup until cheese is completely melted before adding additional cheese.
- Garnish with broccoli florets and/or additional grated cheese.
- If you own an immersion blender, purée soup directly in the pot.
- Slowly and gently reheat soup, ensure it does not boil as this will lead to the milk and cheese separating.
- For a heartier soup, add cubed potatoes, sweet potatoes, or squash when adding broccoli.
- Substitute broccoli with asparagus, for Cheddar Asparagus Soup.