Want to know the best thing about these fries? They’re baked, making them a healthy snack to share with your family. Have these as an afternoon snack, or as a delicious side to your family’s favourite meals. Mirage bakes like butter, so these Baked Sweet Potato Fries come out perfect every time.
Prep Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
Cook Time: 25 to 30 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 43 g / 3 tbsp Mirage margarine, melted (divided)
- 900 g / 3 medium or 2 large sweet potatoes, washed and dried
- 20 g / 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 8 g / 2 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves / 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 5 g / 1 tsp paprika
- 2 g / 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 g / 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 6 g / 1 tsp salt (preferably flaky sea salt)
- Preheat oven to 450℉ (230℃). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Lightly grease each piece of parchment paper with a teaspoon of melted Mirage margarine.
- With a sharp chef’s knife, cut sweet potatoes into 1/4 inch (6 millimetre) slices. Then cut the slices into 1/4 inch (6 millimetre) “sticks”. Place sweet potato fries into a container, or a large bowl, and cover potatoes with cold water. Let soak for at least an hour (or overnight).
- Drain the potatoes and rinse with cold water until all starch has been washed off. Line a baking sheet with paper towels, transfer the rinsed potatoes onto the towels and blot dry with more paper towels.
- Place dried sweet potatoes into a large bowl and sprinkle cornstarch on top. Toss potatoes with the cornstarch until fries are lightly coated. Shake off any excess cornstarch and discard.
- With the remaining melted Mirage margarine, mix in the rosemary, garlic, paprika, cayenne pepper and black pepper until thoroughly combined. Drizzle over the fries. Toss until all pieces are coated.
- Evenly divide the fries between the prepared baking sheets, making sure that there is only a single layer of sweet potatoes. Place onto the middle and upper third rack of the preheated oven. Lower temperature to 425℉ (220℃).
- Bake for 15 minutes. With a spatula, flip fries over, rotate baking sheets and the position in the oven. Bake for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until the fries begin to crisp at the edges and the surface of the fries are no longer “wet” in appearance. Turn oven off and cool in the oven; about 15 minutes. Sprinkle warm sweet potato fries with salt.
- Serve warm as a tasty snack or a delicious side dish for dinner.
- Soak potatoes overnight to save on prep time the next day.
- Ensure potatoes are dry before tossing with the cornstarch.
- To make cleanup easier, place drained and dried potatoes into a large resealable bag and sprinkle the cornstarch into the bag. Seal and shake. Repeat process when adding the melted Mirage margarine mixture.
- Try this recipe using white, yellow-fleshed potatoes, or yams.
- To make sure fries are crispy, when finished baking, turn off oven and leave the oven door slightly ajar. Allow fries to cool down (and to dry out) slowly in the oven before taking them out.